The 2NT opening is a standard opening showing a balanced hand and 20-21 (or 22) HCPs. With a distributional hand in this point range, instead open Strong two clubs. After a 2NT opening, most of the same conventions are in play as after a 1NT opening, including Stayman, Jacoby transfers, and Texas transfers.
The following are the responses to a 2NT opening:
- 3♣ is Stayman. May be nonforcing with a three-suited hand short in clubs and absolutely nothing. Otherwise is game-forcing.
- 3♦ is Jacoby transfer to 3♥. Pass with absolutely nothing, otherwise rebid 3NT with 5 hearts or 4♥ with 6+.
- 3♥ is Jacoby transfer to 3♠. Pass with absolutely nothing, otherwise rebid 3NT with 5 spades or 4♠ with 6+.
- 3♠ is usually Minor suit transfer.
- 3NT is a natural sign off.
- 4♣ is Gerber, asking for aces.
- 4♦ is Texas transfer to 4♥. Bid with 6 hearts and 5-10 points, no slam interest.
- 4♥ is Texas transfer to 4♠. Bid with 6 spades and 5-10 points, no slam interest.
- 4NT is quantitative slam invite.