Standard American Yellow Card (SAYC) is a standardized version of the Standard American system, allowing almost no variation. As such, it is useful for playing in clubs and online. Many partnerships start with SAYC and make various adjustments to their taste.
Standard American Yellow Card uses 5-card majors (although very good 4-card majors may be opened with discretion in third seat), Strong 2♣, Weak two bids, a strong balanced 1NT opening (15-17 points), 2NT opening at 20-21, and a natural 3NT opening with 25-27 points. Notrump openings may include 5-card majors or minors.
- 1♣: 12-21 HCPs, 3+ ♣s
- 1♦: 12-21 HCPs, 4+ ♦s (exception: 4=4=3=2)
- 1♥/1♠: 12-21 HCPs, 5+ ♥s/♠s
- 1NT: 15-17 HCPs, balanced
- 2♣: 22+ HCPs (Strong two clubs)
- 2♦/2♥/2♠: 5-11 HCPs, 6 ♦s/♥s/♠s with reasonable quality (Weak two bids)
- 2NT: 20-21 HCPs, balanced
- 3 or 4 level suit opening: preemptive (rule of 2/3/4)
- 3NT: 25-27 HCPs, balanced
Suit Auctions Edit
See sub-article /suit auction
Notrump Auctions Edit
See sub-article /notrump auction for details.