Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Quest transfers are a nonstandard conventional rebid in 1NT auctions. After 1NT--2♣--2♦, the opener has denied a four-card major, but likely has three-card majors. Thus, with 5-4 (sometimes 6-4) majors, after giving opener his choice of majors with Stayman, it is useful to be able to transfer to a major of the responder's choice. This is very similar to Smolen transfers, but more useful since Smolen only applies to game-forcing auctions, while Quest transfers may be used with as little as invitational strength, since it is possible to sign off in 3 of the major with a Moyesian fit in the worst case.
After 1NT--2♣--2♦, the following bids are defined
- 3♦ is a transfer to 3♥ with 5+ hearts, 4 spades, and at least 8 points.
- 3♥ is a transfer to 3♠ with 5+ spades, 4 hearts, and at least 8 points.
Opener's response Edit
- With 15-16 points (minimum opening), accept the transfer by bidding 3♥/♠.
- With 17 points (maximum) and a doubleton in partner's major, bypass the transfer by bidding 3NT.
- Partner will retransfer by bidding 4♦/♥ with a 6-card suit.
- With 17 points, 3 cards in partner's major, and an outside ace, bypass the transfer by cue-bidding the outside ace.
- Partner will either cue-bid aces or else retransfer by bidding 4♦/♥ if possible.
- With 17 points and 3 cards in partner's major, and no outside ace, bypass the transfer by bidding 4 of the major.