Jacoby 2NT is a convention to show a game-forcing major suit raise after a 1-level opening. After a 5-card major suit opening, 2NT promises 4-card support and 13+ points, and asks opener for information about any short suits to see if slam is a possibility.
Rebids after 2NT Edit
- A new suit at the 3-level shows a singleton or void
- A new suit at the 4-level (below game) shows a second (5-card) suit
- 3 of the major shows a maximum opening (SAYC: 18+ points)
- 3NT shows a medium opening (SAYC: 15-17 points)
- 4 of the major shows a minimum opening (SAYC: 13-14 points)
Subsequent bidding Edit
- Slam bidding is more accurate.
- A short suit is revealed even when responder does not need this information. This helps opponents to find their fit and avoid the short suit.
- The natural 2NT bid is gone.
Single raise - Jump raise