A 1NT opening requires between 15 and 17 high card points and a balanced hand. More specifically, with the correct point range, 1NT should always be opened with 4-3-3-3, 4-4-3-2, or 5-3-3-2 with a long minor. It is optional (depending on partnership agreement) to open 1NT with 5-3-3-2 and a long major, 5-4-2-2 with 2 spades and 4 hearts, or 6-3-2-2 with a long minor.
A 2NT opening requires 20 to weak 22 points with a balanced hand, or with a five-card major, six-card minor or five-four distribution with a five-card minor. It does not require the doubleton to be stopped.
Responses to 1NT opening Edit
The following responses to 1NT openings are used.
- 2♣ is Stayman. Afterwards,
- 2♦ and 2♥ are Jacoby transfers to ♥ and ♠, respectively. Afterwards,
- 4♣ is Gerber.
- 4♦ and 4♥ are Texas transfers to ♥ and ♠, respectively. After this, responder may rebid 4NT as key-card Blackwood or a new suit as exclusion key-card Blackwood.
- 2♠ as a transfer to clubs
- 2NT as a transfer to diamonds
- 3♣ shows both minors and is weak and nonforcing
- 3♦ shows both minors and is strong
- 3♥ and 3♠ show both minors, strength, and a splinter in the bid major